The internet has changed dramatically over the last two decades, and so did Wi-Fi routers. We cannot think of a moment without the Internet in the 21st centuries. Most modern Wi-Fi routers support the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard, which uses the 5 GHz band exclusively and is capable of multi-station throughput of at least 1 Gbps, and a single-station throughput of at least 500 Mbps, which is theoretically enough for over 60 YouTube videos playing simultaneously.
Besides being a lot faster, modern wireless routers are also a lot smarter. They support technologies such as beamforming to focus your Wi-Fi signal where it’s needed the most, and they come with a host of security- and privacy-oriented features to keep you safe online. Of course, some features are reserved for the best Wi-Fi routers and those who are willing to pay for them.
So whether you use the device on your business on your business travels or personal use, you can select a suitable one to fulfil your needs on this guide of the 5 best Wi-Fi routers.
1. Netgear Orbi AC2200 RBK23
- Speed: 802.11ac 5GHz down: 68.8 Mbps
- Connectivity: 2 x Gigabit Ethernet ports per unit
- Features: Disney Circle parental controls, Pause WiFi, smartphone setup, Tri-Band networking, modular
If you are in the market for a high-end WiFi system then the Orbi RBK23 might be what you need. It delivers amazing performance and supports modern features such as MU-MIMO which means that the WiFi router can communicate with multiple devices simultaneously and this decreases the time each device has to wait for a signal.
Netgear Orbi AC2200 RBK23 has high-performance Whole Home Mesh WiFi System which can cover large homes up to 6,000 sq. ft with fast WiFi. Besides, it works with Amazon-Alexa and the Google Assistant so you can use voice commands to control your home WiFi network
This router provides Circle® Smart Parental Controls which allows your families to manage content and time online on any connected device. If you want a quick and easy way to set up and expand their home Wi-Fi, and this will be best option for you
- Easy setup
- Great 802.11n coverage
- Supports MU-MIMO
- Includes 1 router and 2 satellites
- Firmware is buggy
- No USB ports for printer or storage sharing
2. TP-Link Archer C5400
- Speed: 802.11ac 5GHz down: up to 2,167 Mbps, 2.4GHz down: up to 1,000 Mbps
- Connectivity: 4 x LAN, WAN, USB 3.0, USB 2.0
- Features: MU-MIMO, Tri-band Wi-Fi, 8 external antennas, Alexa voice control
TP-Link Archer C5400 delivers combined Tri-Band Wi-Fi speeds to 5334 Mbp that lets you dedicate an entire band to gaming without slowing down your network. Smart Connect helps devices run even faster by assigning them to the best available channel to balance network demand. Besides when you connect a device to your router, Smart Connect will automatically identify the best available channel and assign the device to it.
The Archer C5400 has NitroQAM (1024-QAM) and 4-Stream and these advanced technologies let the router’s 2.4 GHz band and both of its 5 GHz bands provide speeds of up to 1000 Mbps and 2167 Mbps, respectively. Because of NitroQAM and 4-Stream, you can game at the highest settings without lagging.
If you’re looking for a router that can shout louder than your neighbor’s router, this is a decent choice for you.
- AC5400 Technology
- Great 5Ghz performance
- Features (Beamforming, MUMIMO And TriBand Technology)
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports With Link Aggregation
- USB Performance
- Not the nicest-looking device
3. Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000
- Wi-Fi Spec: 802.11ac/Tri-Band
- Number of Antennas/Removable: 8/Yes
- Ports: 1 WAN, 4 1-Gbps LAN, 1 2.5-Gbps LAN, 2 USB 3.0
- Peak Throughput: 731.4 Mbps
- Size: 9.4 x 9.4 x 2.8 inches
If you have focus on gaming, the GT-AX11000 can be a good home router as well with Quality of Service (QOS), security and parental controls. It not only lets you set up adaptive QOS to prioritize the available bandwidth but the router’s time-scheduling feature can set limits on when users can log on.
It has a 1.8GHz quad-core CPU and 2.5GBase -T port which provide ultimate performance and allow it to increase its speed up to 11000Mbps to handle even the busiest network with ease.
It can be one of the best options for you if you want high performance with reasonable costs.
- First Wi-Fi 6 (802.11AX) router for future-proof networking
- Performance improves with distance
- Impressive 2.5Gbps wired connector
- Bundled security software
- Gaming-specific tools are limited
- 5 LAN ports only
4. Netgear Nighthawk AX8 (RAX80)
- Wi-Fi Spec: Wi-Fi 6/Dual-band
- Number of Antennas/Removable: 8/Yes
- Ports: 1 WAN/5 LAN gigabit per second, 2 USB 3.0
- Peak Throughput: 1.389 Gbps
- Size: 12.0 x 8.0 x 6.3 inches
Netgear RAX80 AX6000 Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi 6 Routers built with blazing-fast wireless speeds of up to 6 Gbps, the AX8 lets families simultaneously stream 4K/8K video on multiple devices.
It supports the new 802.11ax WiFi standard with high-performance WiFi 6 for Smart Homes with 30-50 devices which is powered by a 64-bit. Its 1.8GHz quad-core processor designed to transfer gigabytes of data with almost zero CPU load. 160MHz channel support doubles the speed offered by 80MHz channels to provide gigabit speed to compatible devices.
Its in-built dynamic QoS Prioritizes internet traffic by application and device for smoother streaming. Netgear Nighthawk AX8 has a nighthawk app which can easily set up your router and get more out of your WiFi. Includes remote access to manage your network when away from home.
It’s one of the fastest routers and has a broad feature set. It can remain your first Choice as high-end routers.
- Easy to install.
- Strong 5GHz throughput and file-transfer performance.
- Link aggregation.
- Lacks anti-malware tools.
- AX clients are hard to find.
5. Netgear Orbi Pro
- Speed: 802.11AC 3Gbps
- Connectivity: Gigabit WAN, 4 x Gigabit LAN
- Features: Modular network coverage, modern design, easy setup, traffic separation
Netgear Orbi Pro creates one seamless network, so as you move from one side of the office to the other, your signal won’t drop –especially during conference calls. Netgear Orbi Pro has flexible mounting capabilities which optimize your WiFi with device placement.
It is generally designed to cover your business networking needs. The Orbi Pro AC3000 Wireless Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi System from NETGEAR offers improved wireless coverage of up to 5,000 square feet and enhanced wireless connectivity at speeds up to 3000 Mbps. It’s secured WiFi zones with network separation and client separation, enabled by VLAN-SSID tie-in.
Overall, Netgear Orbi Pro is undoubtedly one of the best Wi-Fi routers which delivers the best value against the cost.
- Easy to deploy
- 6Gbps backhaul
- Tri-band AX6000 Mesh Router
- Hardly inconspicuous